Friday, April 8, 2011

One for my homies

Getting old...an inevitable truth. Seems so mythical and hard to grasp when your still young and healthy. Just got a phone call from my father and it turns out my grandmother may have colon cancer. Also just got off the phone with my mother and my honey bubby is having to go to a nursing home. So surreal when these times start to arrive. As a child you always know that one day your grandparents wont be there anymore, but regardless you still take their visits for granted. Or maybe forget to call them as much as you planned too. Sadly it takes experiences like this to finally get a fire under your ass. These women are so amazing and I can't imagine not having them in my life anymore. I hate the idea of losing them. I wish I could go back and spend a few more summer breaks with them or call them a few more times. However I can't. BUT what I can do is start the cycle now. Start listening to their stories about what their parents and grandparents were like. I want to hear stories from their childhood, adolescences. Maybe hear about their summer romances, and what their hopes and dreams were. I want to be able to pass these memories on to my kids someday.
Luckily, I still have time to call them and visit them and I feel so blessed that I have made this realization now versus later. We all should stop for a minute and take in these moments. You never know when it will be your last chance.

I love you grandma and honey bubbe!!

-Lisa

No comments: